1983 August: Sydney. Pesticide: Heptachlor

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Get Directions

In August, 1983, Sydney woman Marg Sambrook had her house treated for termites and spiders with the OC, heptachlor. Six days later, she became extremely ill after wiping the pesticide residue off her windows, where it had dripped from the eaves and gutters. The operator had told her that the poison was harmless once it had dried. Her symptoms included severe muscle aching and contraction, severe nausea, memory loss and poor coordination. She could only sleep for two and a half hours each night for the six months following the treatment. Her symptoms continued for well over a year and she eventually had to move away from her home. It took her three years to fully recover from heptachlor poisoning. p80 Quick Poison Slow Poison. Pesticide Risk in the Lucky Country. Kate Short 1994