1980s: Perth. Death of Child. Pesticides Suspected: Atrazine, Amitrole

Many local councils use herbicides on parks, gardens and sports ovals where young people are likely to absorb them as they roll, run and play on grass and bare earth. One tragic case involved 6-year old Malcolm Sargent who went barefoot on his paper round in Perth. He absorbed the herbicides atrazine and amitrole through his skin on two seperate occasions, a week apart, and died of pneumonia four days after the second exposure. Although the link between exposure and death cannot be proved, Malcolm’s prior excellent health suggests that he was a victim of pesticide poisoning. p103 Quick Poison Slow Poison. Pesticide Risk in the Lucky Country. Kate Short 1994