*** worked in the Bundaberg tomato industry for nine years as both picker and packer. During the picking season, she was in constant contact with the bushes and on some occasions, directly with pesticides as they were applied. She constantly inhaled their fumes. After two years in the industry, *** developed asthma, and after four years, swellings and sores appeared on her hands and arms, and her body itched constantly all over. These symptoms continued during the season and gradually diminished during the six-month off-season. In February 1990, *** was diagnosed as suffering from allergic contact dermatitis. The doctor’s report indicated that her symptoms were consistent with pesticide exposure and indicated that, at the age of 48, she was incapable of returning to work. p78 Quick Poison Slow Poison. Pesticide Risk in the Lucky Country. Kate Short 1994.