1987: Newcastle. Pesticide of Concern: Aldrin

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Get Directions

In 1987 *** and *** were working as steel fixers in Newcastle. They were poisoned after kneeling in a puddle of a white milky liquid for several hours. The liquid was run-off Aldrin, the OC pesticide that had been sprayed some hours previously, and left to accumulate in puddles on the site. The two men became sick on the job with symptoms of acute exposure, including dry throat and tingling sensation in the legs. Six years after exposure both are still unwell. Symptoms include coughing up blood, blisters and red blotches on the roof of the mouth, rhinitis, loss of voice and constant burning sensations in the nose. p79 Quick Poison Slow Poison. Pesticide Risk in the Lucky Country. Kate Short 1994